7. There are 252 marbles in a bag. If two-sevenths of them
are red, four-ninths of the remainder
are green, and the rest are blue, how many blue marbles are there?
8. A piece of string was m long. A boy cut
off m of the string and gave it to his
He then cut off two-thirds of the remaining length for his cousin. What was the
length of the
remaining piece of string?
Part II - Basic Operations with Decimals
a. 3.21 x 2.3
b. 36.5 ÷
c. 57.5 ÷
d. 33.8 + 9.35
e. 62.123 - 4.24
Group Work / Homework Assignment
1. 0.7 x 0.6 x 0.05
2. 28.5 + 12.35 + 48.2
3. 16.3 - 2.087
4. 5.8 + 6.2 x 0.2
5. 173.88 ÷
6. 5 x (2 + 0.2) ÷
7. Sue’s mother bought 5 lemons at $0.25 each, ½ kg of
meat at $8.36 per kg, and 2.5 L of milk
at $0.85 per ½ L. How much money did she spend altogether?
Part III - Conversions between Fractions and Decimals
1. Convert into fractions to lowest terms: a. 0.425 b.
0.0024 c. 3.2 d. 0.00005
2. Convert to decimal form:
3. Simplify the following . Give your answer either in fraction or decimal form.
Part IV - Percentage
Quick Review 1. Convert to fraction: 26%
2. Convert to percent:
3. Convert to fraction:
4. Convert to decimal:
5. Find 30% of $450.
6. There are 2,310 children in a school. This number is 5%
more than it was last year. Calculate
the number of children in the school last year.
Group Work / Homework 1. Express 45% as: a. a decimal b. a reduced fraction
2. Express as a percent:
3. Express as: a. a
decimal b. a reduced fraction
4. A merchant received his order of 250 ceramic figurines
and found that 8% of them were
broken. How many figurines were unbroken?
5. There are 1,500 soccer players in a county league. 45%
of them are boys.
a.. What percent of the players are girls?
b. How many boys are there in the league?
6. In 1983, the population of a town was 72,000. In 1993,
the population had risen to 81,000.
Find the percent increase of the population.
7. The enrollment of a certain elementary school was 450
in 1999. By 2000, the enrollment had
increased by 16%. What was the enrollment in 2000?
8. What is of 800 m?
9. Express 50 minutes as a percentage of 3 hours.
10. The price of a jacket is increased by 25% to $95, what was the original
11. If the price of a hat is decreased by 5% to $19, what was the original
Applied problems from New Elementary Mathematics Syllabus
D, by Sin Kwai Meng, with
Editor Dr. Wong Khoon Yoong, (2006), have been utilized in this workshop.
Answer key for 0950 Workshop
g. 56 h.534 students
Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Start solving your Algebra Problems
in next 5 minutes!
Download (and optional CD)
Click to Buy Now:
2Checkout.com is an authorized reseller
of goods provided by Sofmath
Attention: We are
currently running a special promotional offer
for Algebra-Answer.com visitors -- if you order
Algebra Helper by midnight of
you will pay only $39.99
instead of our regular price of $74.99 -- this is $35 in
savings ! In order to take advantage of this
offer, you need to order by clicking on one of
the buttons on the left, not through our regular
If you order now you will also receive 30 minute live session from tutor.com for a 1$!
You Will Learn Algebra Better - Guaranteed!
Just take a look how incredibly simple Algebra Helper is:
: Enter your homework problem in an easy WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) algebra editor:
Step 2 :
Let Algebra Helper solve it:
Step 3 : Ask for an explanation for the steps you don't understand:
Algebra Helper can solve problems in all the following areas:
simplification of algebraic expressions (operations
with polynomials (simplifying, degree, synthetic division...), exponential expressions, fractions and roots
(radicals), absolute values)