Rationale: Precalculus for science majors is a one semester course which is a
prerequisite for the calculus sequence. The focus of this course are
graphs- linear, quadratic, polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and
trigonometric-analytic trigonometry, and solving systems of two equations in two
variables. Students learn graphing skills and techniques which are not only
necessary for the calculus sequence but also for other science courses.
Course Goals: This course provides students with an understanding of the
of functions and graphs. With the aid of the TI-83, students will learn
graphing techniques. Students will also learn to prove trigonometry identities
to solve systems of equations in two variables. The course will also help
develop an appreciation for mathematics and to realize its importance to
Course Objectives: Students will be able to:
Functions (2.1-2.2, 2.4-2.5)
1. Identify functions.
2. Explain why a given relation is not a function.
3 Evaluate functions for given values of the independent variable.
4. Sketch the graph of each of the fol lowing basic functions-identity, square,
cubic, square root , reciprocal, absolute value.
5. Graph any given function using transformation and other graphing techniques.
28. Convert degrees to radians and radians to degrees.
29. Sketch the graph of trigonometric functions-sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant,
secant, and cotangent.
30. Identify the amplitude (where applicable), period, and phase shift of
31. Solve problems using the definition of trigonometric functions of an angle
Analytic Trigonometry (6.1-6.3, 6.6)
32. Verify trigonometric identities using the fundamental
reciprocal, tangent, and cotangent.
33. Solve trigonometric equations.
34. Sketch the graph of the inverse sine, cosine, and tangent functions
General Methodology: Lecture /Discussion /Demonstration /Cooperative
groups /Problem solving
Accommodation for Students With Special Needs: If
you have a disability for which
you are or may be requesting an accommodation, you are encouraged to contact
your instructor and the Academic Success Center’s Disability Resources and
Office (Hanley Library, Room 218). Contact Kara Kennedy, Learning Development
Specialist, at 362-7609 for more information.
1. I intend to treat each student with respect and I therefore expect each
student to be
respectful to myself and to every other member of the class.
2. You should try to attend all classes. If you have to miss a class due to some
uncontrollable circumstance, it is your responsibility to find out what material
covered during that missed class and what as signments weredistributed .
3. You are expected to devote about 12 hours weekly, besides the 4 in-class
hours, to this course.
4. You are supposed to be active participants in the group work in order to
receive the 25 points for class participation.
5. You may collaborate on the take-home quizzes but the work you submit must
be your own understanding of the concepts since you will not be able to
collaborate on your in-class exams.
1. Scheduled Exams - (3 @ 75 points each - 225 points total). The dates for the
are listed in the course outline.
2. Take-home Quizzes - (10 @ 15 points each – 150 points total).
More than 10 quizzes will be given throughout the semester but only your best 10
will count towards your final grade. They will be based on reading assignments,
problems and worksheet problems.
3. Final exam -100 points. The date and time for your final exam are listed in
4. Class participation -25 points.
Total Number of Points: 500
Quizzes-30 % of overall grade
Exams -65% (Exam #1, 2, and 3 15% each and final exam-20%)
Letter grades will be assigned according to the following
Start solving your Algebra Problems
in next 5 minutes!
Download (and optional CD)
Click to Buy Now:
2Checkout.com is an authorized reseller
of goods provided by Sofmath
Attention: We are
currently running a special promotional offer
for Algebra-Answer.com visitors -- if you order
Algebra Helper by midnight of
you will pay only $39.99
instead of our regular price of $74.99 -- this is $35 in
savings ! In order to take advantage of this
offer, you need to order by clicking on one of
the buttons on the left, not through our regular
If you order now you will also receive 30 minute live session from tutor.com for a 1$!
You Will Learn Algebra Better - Guaranteed!
Just take a look how incredibly simple Algebra Helper is:
: Enter your homework problem in an easy WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) algebra editor:
Step 2 :
Let Algebra Helper solve it:
Step 3 : Ask for an explanation for the steps you don't understand:
Algebra Helper can solve problems in all the following areas:
simplification of algebraic expressions (operations
with polynomials (simplifying, degree, synthetic division...), exponential expressions, fractions and roots
(radicals), absolute values)